პროგრამული უზრუნველყოფა ბიბლიოთეკებისათვის

DSpace User Group at The Repository Fringe Conference, July 2-3

DSpace news - სამ, 19/06/2018 - 22:13

From Bram Luyten, Atmire

The annual Repository Fringe Conference is taking place on the 2nd and 3rd of July in Edinburgh.

The organizers of the repository fringe are kindly making the Kelvin Room at RSE Edinburgh available from 2.00 to 3.30pm on Tuesday July 3rd for a DSpace User Group meeting.

If you are interested in joining this event, please join the ongoing communication about the program on the DSpace UK mailing list.

When available, more information will also be added to:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2018-07-03+Repository+Fringe+DSpace+User+Group+Meeting

The post DSpace User Group at The Repository Fringe Conference, July 2-3 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

2018-19 DSpace Leadership Group & Community Nominations

DSpace news - სამ, 19/06/2018 - 19:08

DSpace is excited to announce the Leadership Group for the 2018 membership year.

Allen Bell University of British Columbia Library John Butler University of Minnesota Scott Hanrath University of Kansas Barbara Hirschmann ETH Zurich Jyrki Ilva National Library of Finland Salwa Ismail Georgetown University Inba Kehoe University of Victoria Pierre Lasou Université Laval Agustina Martinez Garcia University of Cambridge Joao Mendes Moreira Foundation of Science and Technology Portugal Kristi Palmer Indiana University Purdue University Indiana Kristi Park Park Texas Digital Library Maureen Walsh The Ohio State University Libraries Andrew Weaver Washington State University Libraries Heather Yager Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Members of the Leadership Group play a key role in setting the strategic direction and priorities of the project through the approval of the annual budget allocation and project roadmap and establishing the annual community direction.  Under the governance of DSpace, Leadership Group members represent Platinum member institutions or are representatives of Gold, Silver, or Bronze member institutions that have been nominated and/or elected by DuraSpace Members in support of DSpace.  The DSpace community benefits greatly from the engagement of it’s Leadership Group and is excited to welcome these members.

Additionally, the DSpace project is seeking two individuals from the community to be an active participant in the future of DSpace by serving as a member of the DSpace Leadership Group.  

Beginning today, we invite anyone in the DSpace community, DuraSpace members (whose institution doesn’t already have a Leadership Group seat) or non-members of DuraSpace, to nominate an individual who you believe would be a good representative of the community (self-nominations are welcome).

Ideal candidates should be familiar with DSpace and have an interest in being engaged with key project decisions and the broader user community. It is also helpful if the candidate has fiscal or staffing responsibility within their organization and able to bring the commitment, creativity, and dedication that the role calls for.

Learn more about the DSpace Leadership Group here.

Please submit your nomination using this form by Wednesday, June 27, 2018.  Self-nominations are welcome.

Next Steps

At the end of the nomination process anyone nominated will be asked to submit a brief personal statement expressing why they would be a suitable candidate for the Leadership Group.  An election will follow at which time the Fedora community will be asked to vote for two candidates.

If you have any questions about the DSpace project governance or the nomination and election process please contact Kristi Searle.

The post 2018-19 DSpace Leadership Group & Community Nominations appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Statement from DSpace Steering Group on the DSpace 7 Data Model

DSpace news - ორშ, 18/06/2018 - 18:57

The DSpace Steering Group strongly recommends that the DSpace 7 data model should be expanded to support new object types (entities) to provide the following immediate benefits: alignment with the COAR Next Generation Repositories recommendations (especially around identifiers, e.g. ORCID), compliance with OpenAIRE v4 guidelines, and ensuring that DSpace stays current and competitive with other repository solutions in the landscape while being interoperable with existing research information systems.

In order to achieve this, the Steering Group recommends adopting a flexible, configurable data model which allows existing DSpace institutions to choose whether to enable new (out-of-the-box) entities in their system. The solution should initially concentrate on entities required to meet OpenAIRE v4 guidelines, while also allowing institutions to create/design additional entities to meet other use cases. The solution should be built incrementally (over several releases), so as to not adversely affect the DSpace upgrade process. The end result should be a system that supports configurable entities in its data model, as this will allow for DSpace to be adapted/extended for additional use cases. However, in order to stay true to the goals described in the DSpace 2015-18 Strategic Plan, DSpace should avoid becoming too specific to a single repository use case. Instead, a goal of configurable entities should be to allow third-party extensions or add-ons to extend the DSpace data model for specific use cases. One example may be DSpace-CRIS, a widely adopted DSpace extension to support CRIS use cases. Configurable entities should allow for such extensions to be more easily installed/maintained in out-of-the-box DSpace.

For the reasons stated above, the Steering Group recommends the new data model be based on the Option #3 proposal (see DSpace Entities Overview / Discussion document), where Entities are proposed as an extension of the Item model. The creation of this new model should be coordinated by DuraSpace / DSpace Steering, and be developed in collaboration with the global DSpace community. By doing so, the configurable entities will be a transparent and inclusively developed model ensuring that DSpace is able to face the new challenges and address the needs and requirements of its global community.

We welcome the DSpace community’s involvement and support going forward, and it will be incorporated as opportunities arise.

The post Statement from DSpace Steering Group on the DSpace 7 Data Model appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates for June 17 — Nominations for Leadership Group, EuroCRIS, Membership Drive

DSpace news - ორშ, 18/06/2018 - 18:20

From Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director

Nominations for Leadership Group open Each year, VIVO elects three community members to serve on the VIVO Leadership Group. Any person at a VIVO member institution can nominate up to three people to serve. To make a nomination, you must be at a VIVO member institution. Not at a member institution? That’s easy to fix, become a member. To become a member, see Become a Member Now that you are at member institution, send the names of the people you would like to nominate to Kristi Searle at Duraspace. You can nominate anyone you like, including people who have served as community members previously. Kristi will check with each person nominated to make sure they are willing to serve. If they are, they will be asked to provide a short bio to use in the election. Nominations are due June 25, 2018. We look forward to hearing from you!

EuroCRIS I had the pleasure of attending the 2018 EuroCRIS meeting in Umeå Sweden this past week. EuroCRIS meets every other year, and gathers people interested in “CRIS” systems — current research information systems — these are systems that record the research outputs of a research organization. Some people refer to VIVO as a CRIS system. CRIS systems focus on research outputs, not people, and often are directly associated with repositories where the research outputs are stored. In Europe, due to open access and other compliance and reporting requirements, it is increasingly common for a university to *require* that all research outputs be stored in the university’s repository. A very popular choice for such work is DSpace, another Duraspace project. DSpace-CRIS is a modification of DSpace that supports the production of simple profiles of researchers with content in the repository. Much of the conference health with issues of CRIS systems, DSpace-CRIS, and the compliance requirements.

I had the chance to meet and discuss these ides with colleagues from the VIVO community, DSpace community, and Duraspace including Michele Mennielli (Duraspace), David Baker (CASRAI), Brian Lowe (Ontocale), Tatiana Walter (TIB Hannover), Anna Guillaumet (SIGMA, and VIVO Leadership Group), Jordi Cuni (SIGMA), Andrea Bollini (4Science), Caroline Birkle (Managing Director Converis), Ed Simons (President, EuroCRIS), Anna Clements (University of Glasgow), Susana Moriati (4Science), Pablo de Castro (EuroCRIS board), Jan Dvorack (Infoscience, Czech Republic), and Miguel-Angel Sicilia (University of Alcalá, Spain) .

Tatiana Walter gave an excellent talk on the effort to map KDSF in Germany to VIVO. Basic concepts of mapping were covered as well as difficulties that were resolved in the mapping of KDSF. Her talk will be available on the conference web site.

EuroCRIS has a CRIS system output format, CERIF-XML. Many CRIS systems are able to produce CERIF-XML. A mapping of CERIF-XML to VIVO was completed several years ago. It needs to be updated. With a new mapping, an XSLT could be constructed to export VIVO RDF triples from CERIF-compatible CRIS systems. We hope to hear more about the updated mapping and XSLT transform work in the months to come.

The meeting was an excellent chance to discuss CRIS concepts with European colleagues, and to keep up to date on CRIS thinking and activities in Europe.

Membership Drive Interested in helping VIVO grow its membership? Please contact Julia Trimmer VIVO is looking for a person to join the membership drive.

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates for June 17 — Nominations for Leadership Group, EuroCRIS, Membership Drive appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Registration Open: Fedora and Samvera Camp in Berlin

DSpace news - ხუთ, 14/06/2018 - 19:42

DuraSpace and Data Curation Experts invite you to attend Fedora and Samvera Camp at the Berlin State Library November 5 – 8, 2018.

Fedora is the robust, modular, open source repository platform for the management and dissemination of digital content. The latest version of Fedora features vast improvements in scalability, linked data capabilities, research data support, modularity, ease of use and more.

Samvera (previously known as Hydra) is a grass-roots, open source community creating best in class digital asset management solutions for Libraries, Archives, Museums and others.  The Samvera software offers flexible and rich user interfaces tailored to distinct content types on top of a robust back end – giving adopters the best of both worlds.

Training will begin with the basics and build toward more advanced concepts – no prior Fedora or Samvera experience is required. Participants can expect to come away with a deep dive Fedora and Samvera learning experience coupled with multiple opportunities for applying hands-on techniques working with experienced trainers from both communities.

Previous Fedora Camps and Samvera Camps (previously known as Hydra Camps) have been held throughout the United States, United Kingdom and in the Republic of Ireland.  Most recently, DCE hosted the inaugural Advanced Samvera (Hydra) Camp focusing on advanced Samvera developer skills.  

The upcoming combined camp curriculum will provide a comprehensive overview of Fedora and Samvera by exploring such topics as:

  • Core & Integrated features
  • Data modeling and linked data
  • Content and Metadata management
  • Migrating to Fedora 4.x
  • Deploying Fedora and Samvera in production
  • Ruby, Rails, and collaborative development using Github
  • Introductory Blacklight including search and faceting
  • Preservation Services

The curriculum will be delivered by a knowledgeable team of instructors from the Fedora and Samvera communities: Mark Bussey (DCE), Bess Sadler (DCE), Andrew Woods (DuraSpace), and David Wilcox (DuraSpace)

Attendance is limited to the first 30 registrants.  DuraSpace Members and Registered Service Providers receive a discounted rate.  Register before September 14th to receive a $50 discount!

Register Now!

The post Registration Open: Fedora and Samvera Camp in Berlin appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Participate: ORCID in Repositories Task Force

DSpace news - ხუთ, 14/06/2018 - 17:12

Background and group scope
Over the past several years, new ORCID features and increased community uptake have introduced opportunities for ORCID to serve as open infrastructure for automating aspects of repository workflow.

While some repositories have developed sophisticated infrastructure that leverages ORCID to automate workflow, support for ORCID is available out of the box in only a few open source and vendor supplied systems. This means that many institutions that don’t have the resources to customize a system or develop an entirely home-grown solution are unable to make full use of ORCID in their repositories.

To improve workflow automation, author disambiguation, and visibility of repository content using the community-driven infrastructure that ORCID provides, we need better ORCID integration in more repository systems. The ORCID in Repositories Task Force will provide input on repository community needs regarding ORCID and on a set of recommendations for supporting ORCID in repository platforms that will help guide repository system developers.

Charge and Deliverables
This group is charged with reviewing and providing feedback on the proposed recommendations for supporting ORCID in repository systems, including considering:

At what points in repository workflows are ORCID iDs most useful/relevant?
What are the current challenges in using ORCID in repositories?
What ORCID features would be most helpful to include in a repository platform?
The group will develop a set of recommendations to guide repository system developers in designing and building ORCID features. These will be released for public comment before being finalized.

This group will also review and feedback on survey questions that will be used to assess community interest in features proposed in the above recommendations.

Formation & membership
Membership of this group is voluntary, and we invite participation by individuals who have an interest in the topic — including repository providers, repository managers, librarians, IT staff, and research administration staff. The group will be chaired by Michele Mennielli, International Membership and Partnership Manager at DuraSpace. Michele will be supported by Liz Krznarich, ORCID Frontend Tech Lead. ORCID will recognize group members on its website.

Governance
To encourage a “safe space” for frank conversations, discussions during meetings and online conversation will be kept confidential; meetings and other communications including document comments will be considered closed. As with other ORCID task forces, activity, status and outcomes of the group will be shared with the ORCID Board. The group will also share its draft recommendations publicly, for comment by the community, before they are finalized.

Expected effort
We expect the group to attend three one-hour web meetings over the course of three to four months, starting in July 2018, and to dedicate about four hours to reviewing documents outside of the meetings. ORCID staff will generate draft documents, provide logistical support, and take meeting notes.

Meeting 1: Introduce members and review group charge. Discuss survey questions (draft circulated in advance), problems being addressed, and review proposed recommendations.
Homework: Comment on the proposed recommendation.
Meeting 2: Discuss comments on the proposed recommendations and merge comments into a draft recommendation for public comment.
Homework: Comment on draft recommendation.
Meeting 3: Review public comments and finalize recommendations.

Contact
For additional information about the working group, please contact us.

The post Participate: ORCID in Repositories Task Force appeared first on Duraspace.org.

DSpace 7 Updates from OR2018, Including a Recorded DSpace 7 Demo

DSpace news - ოთხ, 13/06/2018 - 23:56

From Tim Donohue, Technical Lead for DSpace and DSpaceDirect

In case you were not able to join us last week at the Open Repositories Conference (http://or2018.net) in Bozeman, Montana, or just want to review conference materials, we’ve collected information from all the major DSpace presentations and workshops below. (Please note, there were many other presentations and posters that involved DSpace. Below we’ve just noted the major community announcements / demo / tutorials that came out of the conference.)

DSpace 7 Updates, Demo and RoadMap

On Thursday, June 7, I gave an update on the DSpace 7 efforts and provided an early demo of the latest DSpace 7 user interface. While this presentation was not recorded, I’ve recorded a “live” demo of the DSpace 7 UI and made it available on YouTube (see below)
DSpace 7 Update Slides: https://tinyurl.com/or2018-dspace7 (Includes updates, What is coming in DSpace 7, estimated roadmap, and screenshots of the live demo)
DSpace 7 Recorded Demo: https://youtu.be/yKnos2jTdSQ (Includes a preview of REST API, Browse, Search, and a detailed demo of the enhanced Submission & Workflow functionality.)
As announced at OR2018, we are working towards a “beta” release of DSpace 7 by the end of this year, with a first “release candidate” in early 2019, and a final, production release shortly thereafter. We also have a DSpace 7 Community Sprint (new developers are welcome) coming up from July 9-20. Sprint signups are open at https://tinyurl.com/dspace7sprints

DSpace Overview during the Repository Rodeo Panel

On Thursday, June 7, Maureen Walsh (The Ohio State University and chair of the DSpace Community Advisory Team) represented DSpace on the “Repository Rodeo Panel”. This is an annual panel at Open Repositories where all repository platforms provide a brief overview of their platforms, latest accomplishments, what is coming next, and how to get involved. This session was streamed live and recorded.
Repository Rodeo: Slides
Recording of Panel

DSpace 7 Technical Workshops

On Monday, June 4, we hosted two DSpace 7 technical workshops to allow developers and other tech-savvy individuals to learn a bit more about both the DSpace 7 REST API and the DSpace 7 Angular User Interface. These resources are a great way to get more familiar with the new technologies in DSpace 7, and also great learning resources if you are a developer interested in taking part in a future DSpace 7 Sprint.
DSpace 7 REST API Workshop taught by Andrea Bollini (4Science), Terry Brady (Georgetown) and Tim Donohue (DuraSpace)
Workshop Slides (including exercises): https://tinyurl.com/or2018-dspace-rest
Exercises & online tutorial (work in progress): https://dspace-labs.github.io/DSpace7RestTutorial/
DSpace 7 Angular UI Workshop taught by Art Lowell (Atmire) and Tim Donohue (DuraSpace)
Workshop Slides (including exercises): https://tinyurl.com/or2018-dspace-ui
Workshop Wiki page
We hope you all are as excited about DSpace 7 as we are! As several individuals noted at OR2018, DSpace 7 is shaping up to be one of the most exciting releases we’ve had in years!

As always, we welcome your feedback or involvement! We’d also encourage your developers to join us on a future DSpace 7 Sprint (https://tinyurl.com/dspace7sprints). The more help we get, the quicker DSpace 7 will get released! If you have questions, feel free to get in touch via email or on our DSpace Slack.

The post DSpace 7 Updates from OR2018, Including a Recorded DSpace 7 Demo appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Recording Available: “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” Webinar

DSpace news - ოთხ, 13/06/2018 - 21:00

On June 12th, Christian Hauschke, VIVO Coordinator at the German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB), presented a DuraSpace Community Webinar.  In the webinar, “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” Christian shared his experiences in making VIVO compliant to the needs of the German VIVO community. He highlighted the motives, goals, tools, and means of communication involved because when VIVO is implemented in a research institution, there is a need to adjust the software to local needs. If a system has its roots in a different country, the adjustments can be more comprehensive. The VIVO ontology and a lot of the underlying assumptions, which are based on the realities of the US scholarly landscape, must be “tailored” to be able to depict the academic culture. The differences concern both the meaning of the translated terms and the usage of the terms in the common language use.  This webinar will be a valuable resource for other regions establishing their own VIVO community.

The presentation slides and webinar recording are available at https://duraspace.org/webinar/.

The post Recording Available: “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” Webinar appeared first on Duraspace.org.

The 2018-19 Fedora Leadership Group & Community Nominations

DSpace news - ოთხ, 13/06/2018 - 20:28

Fedora is excited to announce the Leadership Group for the 2018 membership year.

Chris Awre University of Hull Rob Cartolano Columbia University Sayeed Choudhury Johns Hopkins University Stefano Cossu The Art Institute of Chicago Tom Cramer Stanford University Jon Dunn Indiana University Karen Estlund Penn State University Declan Fleming University of California, San Diego Maude Francis University of New South Wales Neil Jefferies University of Oxford Mark Jordan Islandora Foundation Steve Marks University of Toronto Rosalyn Metz Emory University Tom Murphy ICPSR – University of Michigan Este Pope Amherst College Robin Ruggaber University of Virginia Doron Shalvi National Library of Medicine Tim Shearer UNC Chapel Hill University Libraries Dustin Slater The University of Texas Libraries Jennifer Vinopal The Ohio State University Libraries Ben Wallberg University of Maryland Evviva Weinraub Northwestern University Jared Whiklo University of Manitoba Maurice York University of Michigan Patrick Yott Northeastern University

Members of the Leadership Group play a key role in setting the strategic direction and priorities of the project through the approval of the annual budget allocation and project roadmap and establishing the annual community direction.  Under the governance of Fedora, Leadership Group members represent Platinum member institutions, in-kind contributors or are representatives of Gold, Silver, or Bronze member institutions that have been nominated and elected by DuraSpace Members in support of Fedora.  The Fedora community benefits greatly from the engagement of it’s Leadership Group and is excited to welcome these members.

The Fedora project is seeking two individuals from the community to be an active participant in the future of the Fedora project by serving as a member of the Fedora Leadership Group.  

Beginning today, we invite anyone in the Fedora community, DuraSpace members (whose institution doesn’t already have a Leadership Group seat) or non-members of DuraSpace, to nominate an individual who you believe would be a good representative of the community (self-nominations are welcome).

Ideal candidates should be familiar with Fedora and have an interest in being engaged with key project decisions and the broader user community. It is also helpful if the candidate has fiscal or staffing responsibility within their organization and able to bring the commitment, creativity, and dedication that the role calls for.

Learn more about the Fedora Leadership Group here.

Please submit your nomination using this form by June 25, 2018.  Self-nominations are welcome.  

Next Steps

At the end of the nomination process anyone nominated will be asked to submit a brief personal statement expressing why they would be a suitable candidate for the Leadership Group.  An election will follow at which time the Fedora community will be asked to vote for two candidates.

If you have any questions about the Fedora project governance or the nomination and election process please contact David Wilcox, Fedora Product Manager.

The post The 2018-19 Fedora Leadership Group & Community Nominations appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Call for Nominations: VIVO Community Leadership Group Seats

DSpace news - ოთხ, 13/06/2018 - 17:01

VIVO Community,

The VIVO Leadership Group is the strategic decision-making body for VIVO, and consists of representatives from member institutions and three community members. These three community members will serve on the Leadership Group for one year.

It’s time to hold nominations and elections for three community members, and we need your input. Here’s how it works:

  • Anyone affiliated with a VIVO member institution can nominate individuals  who you believe would be good representatives of the community.  Multiple people from the same institution can make nominations.
  • You can nominate one, two, or three people from the VIVO community using the Nomination Form.
  • You can nominate yourself (provided you’re affiliated with a VIVO member institution).
  • Please send your nominations before midnight on June 25.

Once we receive nominations, we’ll ask for each nominee interested to submit a personal statement explaining why they are interested in serving on the Leadership Group and why they would be an ideal candidate.  An election will follow and VIVO Community Liaisons will vote for three nominees.

Your voice is critical to VIVO, and this is your opportunity to help shape the VIVO Leadership Group. Send your nominations today!

Nomination Form

If you have any questions about the Community Leadership Group nomination or election process please contact Kristi Searle.

The post Call for Nominations: VIVO Community Leadership Group Seats appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VuFind - 4.1.3

Foss4lib.org - ორშ, 11/06/2018 - 20:03
Package: VuFindRelease Date: Monday, June 11, 2018

Last updated June 11, 2018. Created by Demian Katz on June 11, 2018.
Log in to edit this page.

Bug fix / PHP 7.2 compatibility release.

VIVO Updates — Survey, Conference, Leadership, Travel, Dean Krafft

DSpace news - ორშ, 11/06/2018 - 18:30

What do you value about VIVO? VIVO is conducting a short survey. Three simple questions. We started the survey at the conference and have received many thoughtful replies. Not able to attend the conference? Please respond here: VIVO Value Survey. Please share with your colleagues and encourage that they share. We’d like to hear from everyone about VIVO.

A Wonderful Conference The Ninth Annual VIVO Conference was held this past week at the beautiful JB Duke Hotel on the campus of beautiful Duke University. The conference provided a perfect setting for seeing the work of others, sharing and discussing current ideas, and learning more about VIVO, ontology, linked data, research information, faculty profiles, and much more. This year the organizers welcomed people working on other systems that collect and provide information about research activities and outputs.

A special thanks to Paul Albert who served as conference chair. Paul did an outstanding job. Eric Meeks served as program chair, organizing posters, presentations, invited talks, workshops, and introducing “unconference” sessions organized during the conference. Julia Trimmer served as local host, working with the hotel and university to insure everyone had everything they needed. They were supported by a conference team. Together they put on quite an event!

Did you present at the conference? As we have done in years past, we are making conference materials available through OpenVIVO. You can post your materials to Figshare (http://figshare.com) Be sure to identify yourself and your collaborators using ORCiD, and tag your work #vivo18. The VIVO Project has automated scripts that pull in metadata from Figshare and populate OpenVIVO. We wish all conferences worked this way.

Leadership Group The Leadership Group is on the move. Lots of news:

Julia Trimmer of Duke University has been elected acting chair of the Leadership Group and the Steering Group.
Ginny Pannabecker of Virginia Tech has joined the group replacing Julie Griffin
Doug Hahn of Texas A&M has joined the group replacing Michael Bolton
Muhammad Javed of Cornell has joined the group replacing Dean Krafft
An election for the bronze members representative is being concluded
An election for three community representatives will begin shortly. Each will be elected to one year terms.
The group will be meeting every four weeks and has adopted some new processes for conducting its business. The group will name the VIVO Steering Group in the weeks ahead. The Steering Group will assist Leadership by raising and discussing issues facing the project, and drafting documents for Leadership approval.

Upcoming Travel I will be on the road a bit over the next four weeks. Next week, I’ll be in Umeå, Sweden for the EuroCRIS 2018 meeting. See http://www.cris2018.se/ The meeting brings together people interested in Current Research Information Systems (CRIS). The following week I will be in Montreal for a CASRAI workshop, then in Philadelphia for a family gathering. After a few days home, I will be heading to Nanjing, China for the inaugural meeting of the Association for Data, Information, and Society. I’ll be back home July 9. Should be great travels. My email may be a bit slow during some of these trips. I appreciate your patience.

Dean Krafft As we heard above, Dean Krafft, Chief Technologist of the Cornell University Libraries is stepping down from the VIVO Leadership Group, and from the VIVO Steering Group chair position, which he has held since VIVO joined Duraspace in 2013. I met Dean in 2009 in the writing of the VIVO grant proposal to the National Institutes of Health. We have worked closely together over the last nine years. It would be hard to imagine a better colleague, nor a person who has been more steadfast, supportive, creative, insightful, and professional in all he has done for VIVO over all these years. The community owes Dean an immeasurable debt of gratitude. Dean, you will truly be missed.

The post VIVO Updates — Survey, Conference, Leadership, Travel, Dean Krafft appeared first on Duraspace.org.

COAR and DuraSpace Launch Partnership

DSpace news - ოთხ, 06/06/2018 - 21:27

From left to right: Daniel Bernstein (DuraSpace), Kathleen Shearer (COAR), Michele Mennielli (DuraSpace), Tim Donohue (DSpace), Eloy Rodrigues (COAR), David Wilcox (Fedora)

COAR (Confederation of Open Access Repositories) and DuraSpace are pleased to announce the launch of a collaborative partnership.

Both organizations believe in a strong role for innovative open technologies to promote long-lasting and open access to digital data and information. In addition, we are jointly committed to supporting the adoption of repository platforms that are interoperable, compliant with international standards and protocols, and reflect the vision of next generation repository.

By working together, Duraspace and COAR will leverage their unique strengths and communities to pursue our common goals. In particular, the partnership will focus on building capacity in the repository community by delivering and participating in training events, with a special emphasis on developing countries; and promoting the value of open repositories with other communities internationally.

“At COAR, we are looking forward to working with the DuraSpace team to help enhance the skills of repository managers and support the adoption of the most up-to-date versions of repository platforms,” says Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director of COAR.

“We feel this collaboration will lead to practitioner empowerment and sustainability of the services built on the open repository platforms we steward. Working with Kathleen and the COAR community will help us tap into the incredible talent and enthusiasm in open source communities as well as help us deliver on our mission of supporting projects and advancing services to help ensure that current and future generations have access to our collective digital heritage” says Erin Trip, Interim CEO of DuraSpace.

“Our organizations have worked toward this partnership for so long. I am very pleased and grateful for this collaboration as I return to the community as a practitioner in repositories,” says Debra Hanken Kurtz, outgoing CEO of DuraSpace.

——–

ABOUT DURASPACE
DuraSpace (https://duraspace.org/) stewards two of the most widely adopted open source repositories, DSpace and Fedora, which manage research, scholarly, and other published content in a digital repository, focusing on long-term storage, access, and preservation. DuraSpace develops global, strategic collaborations to sustain DSpace and Fedora, and VIVO, a semantic web platform that enables research discovery to create an integrated record of the scholarly work of an organization. More than 2,000 institutions use and help develop open source software in partnership with DuraSpace.

ABOUT COAR
COAR (https://www.coar-repositories.org/) is a membership organization with over 130 members and partners from 40 countries on all 5 continents. COAR’s vision is a global knowledge commons based on the distributed repository network, on which value added services can be built. COAR is platform agnostic and is committed to working with all organizations that share common principles and shared goals.

The post COAR and DuraSpace Launch Partnership appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO 1.10.0-RC-1 Available for Community Testing

DSpace news - ორშ, 04/06/2018 - 17:33

The VIVO 1.10.0 release candidate is available for testing. Pending any issues discovered in the testing of the release candidate, the 1.10.0 release is planned for June 29, 2018.

The primary features/updates found in this release include:

• Support for RDF 1.1 via Jena 3

• Documentation for integrating the Data Distribution API

• TPF Endpoint

• Direct2Experts Endpoint

• Improvements in Internationalization

• Upgrade of password encryption to Argon2i

• Jenatools for import and export of entire triple stores

• vivo.owl consolidated ontology assertions

• Many internal improvements in support of theming

• Many internal improvements to upgrade dependencies

• Many bug fixes

A full list of JIRA tickets addresses by this release can be found here: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?filter=13210

To test the release candidate download and build from the source code to deploy into a servlet container https://github.com/vivo-project/VIVO/tree/rel-1.10.0-RC-1

-or-

Download a no source vagrant https://github.com/vivo-community/vivo-vagrant/tree/rel-1.10.0-RC-1

See the VIVO 1.10 Technical Documentation wiki for instructions: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/VIVODOC110x/VIVO+1.10.x+Documentation

Community testing of this release candidate is critical. Please provide your feedback on the release testing page https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/VIVO/Release+Testing+-+1.10.0.

The post VIVO 1.10.0-RC-1 Available for Community Testing appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates for May 27 — Conference, new Leadership Group Members, Welcome Erin Tripp

DSpace news - ოთხ, 30/05/2018 - 17:06

From Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director

One week to the VIVO Conference  It’s not too late to register and attend the VIVO Conference.  It’s not too late to submit a poster. Hop on http://vivoconference.org to learn more.  

Welcome new members of the VIVO Leadership Group  This week we welcome two new members to the VIVO Leadership Group:

  • Anna Guillaumet, SIGMA (Spain).  SIGMA is a non-profit company supported by ten leading Spanish universities.  SIGMA develops and hosts software supporting students and researchers in Spain.
  • Frederico Ferrario, Cineca (Italy).  Cineca is a consortium of 62 research universities in Italy.  Cineca develops and provides information technology solutions supporting research.

We appreciate their willingness to serve and look forward to their insight regarding VIVO.

The VIVO Leadership Group meets monthly, and provides strategic direction for VIVO.  Representation on the Leadership Group is determined by membership, and by community elections.  See the VIVO Project Charter for a description of the group and its responsibilities.

You may wish to become a member of VIVO and participate in project governance.  See Become a Member for more information.

Welcome Erin Tripp!  Erin Tripp assumes the role of interim CEO of Duraspace June 1.  Previously Erin served as Duraspace Business Development Manager.  In that role she has worked to improve the service provider program, and has led the Research Graph VIVO Cloud Pilot project, gaining significant experience with VIVO.  I have worked with Erin throughout her time at Duraspace.  She will do an outstanding job in her new role. Please join me in welcoming Erin!

Meetings this week  We don’t have an interest group meeting on Thursday this week (fifth Thursday of the month), but we have three others (lots going on in VIVO Land).

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates for May 27 — Conference, new Leadership Group Members, Welcome Erin Tripp appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Call for Proposals: DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018

DSpace news - ოთხ, 30/05/2018 - 17:05

From Pascal-Nicolas Becker, The Library Code GmbH

The DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 will take place at the university library of Technische Universität Berlin, on Thursday, 13th September 2018. It is organized by the university library of Technische Universität Berlin and The Library Code GmbH. This meeting is about informal exchange between DSpace users. After the success of the program structure last year, we kindly ask again for submissions in the format of talks and round tables. The idea of the round tables is to bring DSpace users together, to discuss one common topic. To give some examples: last year, round tables were offered about topics like duplicate detection, DSpace for newcomers, research data, and ORCID.

We kindly ask you to send us proposals for both formats. If you would like to give a talk, please send us a short abstract including an estimation of the time your talk will take. If there is a topic you think a round table should discuss, please send us your idea. If you’re willing to offer a round table on a dedicated topic, please send us a short description. While the main conference language will be German, we will accept talks and round tables in English as well. Please send your proposals by email to anwendertreffen@the-library-code.de within the deadline of June 17th, 2018.

(Deutschsprachige Version)

Das DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 findet am Donnerstag, den 13. September 2018 an der Universitätsbibliothek der Technischen Universität Berlin statt. Es wird von der Universitätsbibliothek der Technischen Universität Berlin und The Library Code GmbH organisiert. Nach dem Erfolg der Programmstruktur im letzten Jahr bitten wir dieses Jahr wieder um Beiträge in Form von Vorträgen und Thementischen. Ein Thementisch soll DSpace-Anwender und -Anwenderinnen zusammenbringen, um ein gemeinsames Thema zu diskutieren. Letztes Jahr gab es zum Beispiel Thementische zu Themen wie Duplikatserkennung, DSpace für Einsteiger, Forschungsdaten und ORCID.

Wir bitten Sie freundlich, uns Vorschläge für beide Formate zu schicken: Wenn Sie einen Vortrag halten möchten, senden Sie uns bitte eine kurze Zusammenfassung inklusive einer Angabe zum zeitlichen Rahmen Ihres Vortrags. Bitte senden Sie uns auch Themen, die Ihrer Meinung nach im Rahmen eines Thementisches behandelt werden sollen. Wenn Sie bereit sind, einen Tisch zu einem speziellen Thema anzubieten, senden Sie uns bitte eine kurze Beschreibung. Auch wenn die Konferenzsprache Deutsch ist, akzeptieren wir gerne auch Vorträge und Thementische in englischer Sprache. Bitte senden Sie uns Ihre Vorschläge per E-Mail ananwendertreffen@the-library-code.de bis zum 17. Juni 2018.

 

The post Call for Proposals: DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

A Don’t Miss Webinar: “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community”

DSpace news - ოთხ, 30/05/2018 - 13:37

DuraSpace presents a community webinar,

“Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:00a.m. ET (time zone converter).  Presented by Christian Hauschke, VIVO Coordinator, German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB).

VIVO is member-supported, open source software and an ontology for representing scholarship.  VIVO supports recording, editing, searching, browsing, and visualizing scholarly activity. VIVO encourages showcasing the scholarly record, research discovery, expert finding, network analysis, and assessment of research impact.  When installed and populated with researcher interests, activities, and accomplishments by an institution, VIVO enables the discovery of research and scholarship across disciplines at that institution and beyond.

When VIVO is implemented in a research institution, there is a need to adjust the software to local needs. If a system has its roots in a different country, the adjustments can be more comprehensive. The VIVO ontology and a lot of the underlying assumptions, which are based on the realities of the US scholarly landscape, must be “tailored” to be able to depict the academic culture. The differences concern both the meaning of the translated terms and the usage of the terms in the common language use.

This one-hour webinar aims at explaining some of the differences we have experienced while trying to make VIVO compliant to the needs of the German VIVO community. Our motives, goals, tools, and means of communication will be introduced to help others learn from our experiences.  Time will be reserved for questions following the presentation. Space is limited and pre-registration is required.

Register Today!

The post A Don’t Miss Webinar: “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Revitalizing DSpace at Duke

DSpace news - ოთხ, 30/05/2018 - 13:22

From Sean Aery, Digital Projects Developer, Duke University

Near the tail end of 2017, the Duke Libraries committed to a major multi-version upgradefor DukeSpace (powered by the open-source repository platform DSpace), and assembled an Avengers-like team to combine its members’ complementary powers to conquer it together.  The team persisted through several setbacks and ultimately prevailed in its mission. The new site launched successfully in March 2018.

That same team is now back for a sequel, collaborating to tackle additional issues around system integrations, statistics/reporting, citations, and platform maintenance. Phase II of the project will wrap up this summer.

I’d like to share a bit more about the DSpace upgrade project, beginning with some background on why it’s important and where the platform fits into the larger picture at Duke. Then I’ll share more about the areas to which we have devoted the most developer time and attention over the past several months.   Some of the development efforts were required to make DSpace 6 viable at all for Duke’s ongoing needs. Other efforts have been to strengthen connections between DukeSpace and other platforms.  We have also been enhancing several parts of the user interface to optimize its usability and visual appeal.

DSpace at Duke: What’s in It?

Duke began using DSpace around 2006 as a solution for Duke University Archives to collect and preserve electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs). In 2010, the university adopted an Open Access policy for articles authored by Duke faculty, and DukeSpace became the host platform to make these articles accessible under the policy. These two groups of materials represent the vast majority of the 15,000+ items currently in the platform. Ensuring long-term preservation, discovery, and access to these items is central to the library’s mission.

Integrations With Other Systems

DukeSpace is one of three key technology platforms working in concert to support scholarly communications at Duke. The other two are the proprietary Research Information Management System Symplectic Elements, and the open-source research networking tool VIVO (branded as Scholars@Duke). Here’s a diagram illustrating how the platforms work together, created by my colleague Paolo Mangiafico:

Credit: Paolo Mangiafico

In a nutshell, DSpace plays a critical role in Duke University scholars’ ability to have their research easily discovered, accessed, and used.

  • Faculty use Elements to manage information about their scholarly publications. That information is pulled neatly into Scholars@Duke which presents for each scholar an authoritative profile that also includes contact info, courses taught, news stories in which they’re mentioned,  and more.
  • The Scholars@Duke profile has an SEO-friendly URL, and the data from it is portable: it can be dynamically displayed anywhere else on the web (e.g., departmental websites).
  • Elements is also the place where faculty submit the open access copies of their articles; Elements in turn deposits those files and their metadata to DSpace. Faculty don’t encounter DSpace at all in the process of submitting their work.
  • Publications listed in a Scholars@Duke profile automatically include a link to the published version (which is often behind a paywall), and a link to the open access copy in DSpace (which is globally accessible).
Upgrading DSpace: Ripple Effects

The following diagram expands upon the previous one. It adds boxes to the right to account for ETDs and other materials deposited to DSpace either by batch import mechanisms or directly via the application’s web input forms. In a vacuum, a DSpace upgrade–complex as that is in its own right–would be just the green box. But as part of an array of systems working together, the upgrade meant ripping out and replacing so much more. Each white star on the diagram represents a component that had to be thoroughly investigated and completely re-done for this upgrade to succeed.

One of the most complicated factors in the upgrade effort was the bidirectional arrow marked “RT2”:  Symplectic’s new Repository Tools 2 connector. Like its predecessor RT1, it facilitates the deposit of files and metadata from Elements into DSpace (but now via different mechanisms). Unlike RT1, RT2 also permits harvesting files and metadata from DSpace back into Elements, even for items that weren’t originally deposited via Elements.  The biggest challenges there:

  • Divergent metadata architecture. DukeSpace and Elements employ over 60 metadata fields apiece (and they are not the same).
  • Crosswalks. The syntax for munging/mapping data elements from Elements to DSpace (and vice versa) is esoteric, new, and a moving target.
  • Legacy/inconsistent data. DukeSpace metadata had not previously been analyzed or curated in the 12 years it had been collected.
  • Newness. Duke is likely the first institution to integrate DSpace 6.x & Elements via RT2, so a lot had to be figured out through trial & error.

Kudos to superhero metadata architect Maggie Dickson for tackling all of these challenges head-on.

User Interface Enhancements in Action

There are over 2,000 DSpace instances in the world. Most implementors haven’t done much to customize the out-of-the-box templates, which look something like this for an item page:

DSpace interface out of the box. From http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/

The UI framework itself is outdated (driven via XSLT 1.0 through Cocoon XML pipelines), which makes it hard for anyone to revise substantially. It’s a bit like trying to whittle a block of wood into something ornate using a really blunt instrument. The DSpace community is indeed working on addressing that for DSpace 7.0, but we didn’t have the luxury to wait. So we started with the vanilla template and chipped away at it, one piece at a time. These screenshots highlight the main areas we have been able to address so far.

Bootstrap / Bootswatch Theme

We layered on the same adapted Bootswatch theme in use by the Duke Libraries’ Drupal website and Duke Digital Repository, then applied the shared library masthead. This gives DukeSpace a fairly common look and feel with the rest of the library’s web presence.

Images, Icons, and Filesizes

We configured DSpace to generate and display thumbnail images for all items. Then we added icons corresponding to MIME types to help distinguish different kinds of files. We added really prominent indicators for when an item was embargoed (and when it would become available), and also revised the filesize display to be more clear and concise.

Usage & Attention Stats

Out of the box, DSpace item statistics are only available by clicking a link on the item page to go to a separate stats page. We figured out how to tap into the Solr statistics core and transform that data to display item views and file downloads directly in the item sidebar for easier access. We were also successful showing an Altmetric donut badge for any article with a DOI. These features together help provide a clear indication on the item page how much of an impact a work has made.

Rights

We added a lookup from the item page to retrieve the parent collection’s rights statement, which may contain a statement about Open Access, a Creative Commons license, or other explanatory text. This will hopefully assert rights information in a more natural spot for a user to see it, while at the same time draw more attention to Duke’s Open Access policy.

Scholars@Duke Profiles & ORCID Links

For any DukeSpace item author with a Scholars@Duke profile, we now display a clickable icon next to their name. This leads to their Scholars@Duke profile, where a visitor can learn much more about the scholar’s background, affiliations, and other research. Making this connection relies on some complicated parts: 1) enable getting Duke IDs automatically from Elements or manually via direct entry; 2) storing the ID in a DSpace field; 3) using the ID to query a VIVO API to retrieve the Scholars@Duke profile URL. We are able to treat a scholar’s ORCID in a similar fashion.

Other Development Areas

Beyond the public-facing UI, these areas in DSpace 6.2 also needed significant development for the upgrade project to succeed:

  • Fixed several bugs related to batch metadata import/export
  • Developed a mechanism to create user accounts via batch operations
  • Modified features related to authority control for metadata values
Coming Soon

By summer 2018, we aim to have the following in place:

Streamlined Sidebar

Add collapsable / expandable facet and browse options to reduce the number of menu links visible at any given time.

Citations

Present a copyable citation on the item page.


…And More!

  • Upgrade the XSLT processor from Xalan to Saxon, using XLST 3.0; this will enable us to accomplish more with less code going forward
  • Revise the Scholars@Duke profile lookup by using a different VIVO API
  • Create additional browse/facet options
  • Display aggregated stats in more places

We’re excited to get all of these changes in place soon. And we look forward to learning more from our users, our collaborators, and our peers in the DSpace community about what we can do next to improve upon the solid foundation we established during the project’s initial phases.

The post Revitalizing DSpace at Duke appeared first on Duraspace.org.

KnowledgeArc Welcomes

DSpace news - სამ, 29/05/2018 - 17:58

From Michael Guthrie, KnowledgeArc

KnowledgeArc welcomes new NHS Trusts archives to the managed hosting platform

We are pleased to welcome Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust and University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust to the KnowledgeArc managed DSpace and Docman hosting. Along with Derbyshire Trusts and Nottinghamshire Trust this brings the number of NHS trusts with KnowledgeArc to nine overall.

Also this month in NHS news, Derbyshire NHS Trusts had KnowledgeArc integrate the Joomla CMS for browsing and display of DSpace, adding to their WordPress integration for CollectionPress Author Profiles.

AECC University College and CGIAR WorldFish sign up for managed DSpace hosting

We also welcomed AECC University College and CGIAR WorldFish to the KnowledgeArc platform for the managed DSpace Archive and Matomo Statistics hosting.

KnowledgeArc welcomes 3 more Myanmar DSpace repositories

Working with EIFL, KnowledgeArc have deployed 3 more repositories on the hosted DSpace service for universities in Myanmar; Yezin Agricultural University, Yadanabon University, and the Yangon University of Economics, bringing the total to five DSpace repositories in Myanmar along with Yangon and Mandalay Universities.

The post KnowledgeArc Welcomes appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Meet Atmire at Open Repositories 2018

DSpace news - სამ, 29/05/2018 - 17:34

From Atmire

Going to Open Repositories in Bozeman (MT) next week? Atmire is proud to support the conference as a major sponsor. Meet up with our five representatives at the event.

Mark Diggory leads the Atmire operations in the US, from our NY based office. He primarily manages repository projects in the Americas and is one of the 19 DSpace committers.

Lieven Droogmans is Atmire’s CEO and Co-founder. He is responsible for Atmire’s largest projects and serves on the DuraSpace Steering Group (SG) for DSpace.

Bram Luyten is Atmire’s Co-founder and Project Manager. Bram is a DSpace committer and formerly served as co-chair of the DSpace Community Advisory Team (DCAT). He is very familiar with our Open Repository and DSpace Express offering, as well as several of Atmire’s open source activities including RIOXX, IRUS and COUNTER.

Art Lowel manages Atmire’s Research & Development activities. His past accomplishments include both of the “Mirage” themes for the DSpace XML User Interface. As a DSpace committer, he is currently leading the User Interface developments for DSpace 7.

Ignace Deroost is Atmire’s global Sales and Marketing Associate. He has in-depth knowledge on Atmire’s DSpace based Software as a Service solutions Open Repository and DSpace Express.

Digital Poster Reception at OR 2017 in Brisbane, sponsored by Atmire.

Serving all types of repositories and institutions

In the past years Atmire has built and acquired a wide array of repository services and products, that have recently been consolidated into three main lines of service.

DSpace Express

DSpace Express is the most affordable full repository service on the market. This Software as a Service (SaaS) platform provides you with a branded DSpace repository which is maintained and upgraded by Atmire. The subscription includes cloud hosting and support services so you don’t need to take care of anything technical yourself.

Open Repository

Open Repository goes the extra mile when it comes to repository features and infrastructure. This SaaS Solution gives you many extra features on top of everything that’s already in DSpace. The platform includes integrations with pubmed, Scopus and others and enables author profiles and easy social media sharing. Administrators themselves have access to many additional configurations options directly through the user interface. So setting up workflows, batch ingesting content and managing collections is a peace of cake.

Open Repository comes with support services and a high availability cloud hosting which includes fallback and test servers on top of the production and backup infrastructure.

Custom DSpace repository

Atmire’s custom development services enable repository platforms entirely tailored to institution specific use cases and integration needs. As a client you can decide which functionality and services should be included and where the repository is deployed, whether it’s on an in house server or on a hosted instance.

DSpace 7

The community’s efforts in developing the new major version of DSpace are in full swing, with dedicated teams focused on the REST API and UI milestones. Finally, the community is reuniting on a single user interface platform after the years of division into the JSPUI and XMLUI sub-communities.

DSpace 7 will come with the brand new Angular User interface which will make DSpace future proof and facilitate further development for institutions by adopting this widely adopted JavaScript framework.

Want to learn more about DSpace 7? Visit us at the conference.

2018 prototype of the DSpace 7 search results page

The post Meet Atmire at Open Repositories 2018 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

ინფოარხების ცნობების შეკრება